Finishing - Page 2

11/1/05 - Worked on the fuselage. I scribed around the waist gun windows to simulate that they can be removed. Added filler where needed and when dry I sanded it down. Contemplated adding a hatch on the top for the charge jack and air fill but decided to just put everything in the bomb bay.

Worked on the Turbosuperchargers and got them on the right wing. They look good. I just glued the superchargers to the nacelle sheeting that was cut out and put a screw through the front to hold them in.

Worked on the flap, aileron and gear hatches on both wings getting them to have nice straight lines and small gaps.

11/2/05 - Worked on the left wing superchargers and got them all painted a rust color.

 

I also got the ball turret mounted and working.

11/3/05

- Carved the Radio Compass housing from balsa and coated it with epoxy.

 

I've also been doing a lot of filling and sanding. It seems every time I look at it I see another ding, dent or bump. I get really good oblique lighting in the afternoon when the sun gets low and my shop lights are off that makes every flaw jump out at me. Then I have to pick up the spot putty or sanding block and get on it.

11/6/05 - I brought it out to the club so everyone can get a look at it before the flite-metal starts. I programmed a Basic Stamp microprocessor to move the top turret back and forth and make the guns go up and down. Everybody loved that!. Now they just need little LEDs for gun blasts and some sound! (good ideas from the crowd)

11/9/05 - Since I had it all together I figured I should weigh it and see where it's at balance wise. Figuring on 10 oz. per battery and 6.5 oz. per motor/prop, I made up some bags of coins to simulate those and put them on. With everything on except the ball turret, rear skid, receiver, switch and air system, I had to add 19 oz. to the nose to balance. The total weight was 18 lbs.! Ouch!!. That's a wing loading of around 40 oz./ft. If I include the tail area it brings the loading down to 34 oz./sq. ft.. And I still need to add more stuff like the above mentioned and the finish. The rear turret weighs 1.9 oz and removing that takes 4 oz off the nose. So now I have to go into weight loss mode. I believe that some of the internal structure can be removed from the rear section.

Removing the batteries from the nacelles and putting them in the nose doesn't help because I then have to add about a pound of wire. Although the wing loading seems high, and i'd feel much better if it was in the 20's, with that fat inner wing section and glider type high aspect ratio I expect it to fly well and with flaps down it should be just fine on slow speed flight. At least that's what I'm hoping!

 

<< Back - Top - Next >>

Updated July 14, 2009